Billing Overview //

At Complete Chiropractic & Wellness Center, we do our best to make the financial part of your care easy and convenient.  As a courtesy to to our patients, we will bill your primary insurance company for you. Any patient responsibility will then be billed to you and can be paid by mail, over the phone or in the office at the time of service. We also realize that insurance can be quite confusing, so we will gladly call your insurance company to determine your coverage benefits. Some of our patients opt to not use their insurance. In these particular cases, we offer a 20% time of service discount for your treatment. We also run frequent specials for new patients. Your first visit will require an initial exam to determine your diagnosis and treatment plan, and we frequently offer discounted rates for this exam. Above all, it is our goal to offer chiropractic care that is affordable for everyone, and we will work with all of our patients to insure that this is the case.

Insurance/Financial Questions//

I got a statement from my insurance, is it a bill?​​​​​

After we bill your insurance company, you will receive an explanation of benefits (EOB) from your insurance company, detailing the services and charges that we billed. While the EOB often has the patient resonsibility listed, this is not a bill. We will send you an actual bill for the amount you are responsible for once we also receive an EOB from you insurance company. 

Can I set up a payment plan for my treatments?

We understand that financial situations vary on an individual basis.  While we prefer to take payment in full at the time of service, we will certainly work with anyone that needs to set up a payment plan to get the care they need. 



I have secondary insurance, can you bill them too?

This depends on your two insurance companies. If you have Medicare as a primary, they will automatically send a bill to your supplemental insurance company. However, if you have any major medical insurance as your primary and a different company for a secondary (i.e. primary-BCBS and secondary-United Healthcare), we can only bill to your primary. The reason for this is that it is extremely time consuming to bill secondary insurances, and as a relatively small office we do not have the resources to devote to this. However, if you would like, we can print you a claim form, which you can then send to your secondary along with the EOB from your primary.



Does Medicare pay for chiropractic care?

Yes, Medicare B covers 80% of the cost for manipulation of the spine. Supplemental insurance will typically pick up the remaining 20%. Medicare, however, will not cover anything else. What this means is that your initial exam (which is required prior to treatment), and any other additional treatments are not covered by medicare, which makes these charges the responsibility of the patient. 

 

Additionally, Medicare only covers "active treatments", which means once a patient reaches the point of being symptom free, or the patient is no longer seeing improvement, Medicare considers this "maintenance care", which is not covered. Many of our patients actually choose to continue with maintenance care once they are symptom free, but these treatments are the responsibility of the patient. 

Health plans //

​​- Blue Cross Blue Shield

- Midlands Choice (Aetna, Cigna, Coventry, etc.)

- United Healthcare

- Medicare

 

Payment types //

​​- Cash

- Check

- Credit Card (Visa, Mastercard, Discovery)

***Patients that choose not to use their insurance and pay at the time of service will receive a 20% discount. 

 

Patient Forms //

New patients fill out forms here.

***Note: Intake forms cannot be complete on phones.

© 2019 by Complete Chiropractic & Wellness Center of Hickman, LLC

To Schedule An Appointment

Call 402-792-2135​